Sunday, November 27, 2011

After Action Report: Alien Worlds Fantasy Tourney

First of all I would like to thank Alien Worlds on San Pedro and Tom Taylor for hosting the tourney. The scenarios were great fun, and I was amazed at the prize support from Alien Worlds. Great tourney all around.

Here is my Army List from the Tourney. I was playing Orcs and Goblins:


1 Orc Warboss @ 216.0 Pts
     General; Choppa; Great Weapon
     Armour of Destiny [50.0]
     Dawn Stone [25.0]
     Potion of Strength [20.0]

1 Orc Big Boss @ 139.0 Pts
     Choppa; Great Weapon; Light Armour; Battle Standard
     Rampager's Standard [55.0]

1 Night Goblin Shaman @ 110.0 Pts
     Magic Level 2; Little Waagh
     Dispel Scroll [25.0]

1 Orc Great Shaman @ 285.0 Pts
     Magic Level 4; Big Waagh; Choppa
     Staff of Sorcery [35.0]
     Ironcurse Icon [5.0]
     Talisman of Preservation [45.0]

58 Night Goblins @ 327.0 Pts
     Netters; Shield; Spear; Standard; Musician

     1 Night Goblin Boss @ [10.0] Pts

     3 Fanatic @ [75.0] Pts

28 Black Orcs @ 428.0 Pts
     Heavy Armour; Standard; Musician
     Razor Standard [45.0]

     1 Black Orc Boss @ [15.0] Pts

1 Rock Lobber @ 85.0 Pts

     3 Crew @ [0.0] Pts

1 Rock Lobber @ 85.0 Pts

     3 Crew @ [0.0] Pts

1 Arachnarok Spider @ 290.0 Pts

     8 Forest Goblin Crew @ [0.0] Pts
          Spear; Shortbow

1 Mangler Squig @ 65.0 Pts

39 Orc Big 'Uns @ 395.0 Pts
     Second Choppa; Light Armour; Standard; Musician

     1 Orc Boss @ [15.0] Pts

1 Pump Wagon @ 75.0 Pts
     Giant Exploding Spores; Spiky Roller

     1 Snotling Crew @ [0.0] Pts

 Additional Casting Dice: 0

 Additional Dispel Dice: 0

 Models in Army: 153


Total Army Cost: 2500.0

Game 1: Orcs vs. Dwarves
 My opponent was Bill Taylor and his dwarves. I was first amazed the low number of models in his army, that was until he deployed his warmachines. Organ Guns and Cannons were on the menu. Fortunately I had accounted for this in my army list by taking horde units. But this was also countered by Bill's own dice which his cannons failed to wound my Arachanarok and even some goblins. My rock lobbers also managed to take out his general with a failed look out sir roll. I won the game by a Minor victory, mostly because I didnt get shot to pieces before I got to him.

Game 2: Orcs vs. Lizardmen
The Lizardmen were played by Kerstan Copeland. I knew going into this that the Cold Blooded rule was going to be a problem. The scenario rewarded you for making challeneges, and challenge I did. My Warboss was tooled for challenges. So I threw my Boys up against his temple guard and my Black Orcs against his 40 man block of saurus. The first turn my Goblins failed animosity,  which ultimately helped me in the end, as he got close enough in combats for my fanatics to deploy which tore up his saurus block before combat even began with the black orcs. My Arachnarok took out a unit of Salamanders and a unit of kroxigors. Venom surge had been doing well all day and continued to do so against all multiple wounds models. The game ended in a draw.

Game 3: Orcs vs. Daemons of Chaos
 Daemons were commanded by James. I knew this game was going to rough, mainly due to his Greater Daemon of Nurgle leading the force. Right away I lost my Mangler Squig, Archanarok, and Pump Wagon. I ended up taking down a unit of Bloodletters, but not before losing my BSB to a killing blow. My Black orcs were locked in combat until turn 6 with plague bearers, where the combat was ended by the Greater Daemon of Nurgle in turn 6. Nurgle had sealed my fate, and the game ended in a Major Loss.

But the best part of it all was that I had fun even when things were not going my direction, and thats because of having great people to play against. I think it was a day well spent.

Steve Schifani took 1st with Best Overall with High Elves
Bill Taylor took 2nd with Best Army and his Dwarves.
I took 3rd place with Sportsmanship.
Oscar Barela took the New Dice Award with his Beastmen.

2 comments:

  1. After some further reflection this weekend, I think the Razors Standard wasnt worth the points. I think I will be switching this out for the 10 point banner that gives the unit flaming attacks. If I really want to do damage to armored units, the black orcs can use their great weapons. If I had the 10 Point Banner in this unit, I may have been able to win game 3 against James Demaria's plaguebearers, since I was stuck in till turn six due to his regen save. This would have given me enough time to get away or deal with his Greater Daemon of Nurgle, and may not have cost me my expensive unit(Which cost me a tie or minor victory.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, the Rampagers stardard on my BSB was not used once. Not even against the Dwarves who made me cross their "no mans land" to get to them.

    ReplyDelete